Just received delivery of two Sonoff DW1’s and was excited to get one of them rigged up on my garage door as an open/close sensor…
BUT I am really disappointed to say that the Sonoff DW1 is an open only sensor. What good is a door/window sensor that doesn’t tell you when the contact is closed?!
I have racked my brain to think of workarounds to this problem but I really can’t think of any! My first thought was to rig up both sensors on the garage door, one for the close position and one for the open position but this is still not going to work in the same way as a simple open/close sensor. E.g. If the garage only partially closed, then you would know that is started closing but you would not know that is actually closed, even with two sensors!
So, if you are thinking of buying the Sonoff DW1, then think again and look for a proper open/close sensor. I have been doing some searching for alternatives and the Shelly Door/Window is looking very promising.
- Door sensor: The Shelly door sensor detects and reports the opening and closing of doors
- Window sensor: The Shelly door sensor detects and reports the opening and closing of windows
- Light sensor: Integrated LUX sensor
- Highly Compatible: Compatible with Android, iOS, Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- WIFI Enabled: No need to mess around with 433MHz RF Bridges
- Battery Life: The very low power CPU combined with 2x CR123A battery provides more that 2-year battery life.